Blue Rum Consulting
Limited (2009 - present)
Director. Development and support of LDPC encoder and decoder
IP as described in products.
Cambridge Silicon Radio (CSR) Ltd, Cambridge (2005
included Consultant, Group Leader and Hardware Programme Manager.
leader for the development of the modem within a cellular (GSM/3G/HSPA)
for the modem architecture, project management and team leadership.
development of timing controller and HSUPA
downlink receiver in VHDL.
production test methodology and verification strategy.
manager for a GPS/Bluetooth/FM chip.
Royston (1996 - 2005)
included digital designer, Client Manager for a key customer and Group Leader.
design of a GSM chip with Analog Devices (AD20MS430)
the timing and control unit and SIM Card
design for the additional support of the ICO satellite standard, focussed
on the radio interface.
contribution to the design flow, e.g. low power clocking
methodology and Synopsys synthesis
- 3G modem
design for the front-end from RF baseband through to Rake
project manager for the digital hardware.
implementation of much of the Rake Receiver block using VHDL.
- Digital Design Group Leader
- line manager to a team of 6 engineers,
building on the previous 3G modem project team.
- responsible for the continued development
of GSM and 3G digital design IP.
- training course development (on integration
of the IP into a customer's design).
- sales support, training and post-sales
support for multiple clients
(semiconductor companies licensing
Texas Instruments, Freising, Germany (1994 -
- Completed the digital development for
a first-generation (AMPS/TACS) mixed-signal
- Digital implementation of a baseband converter
chip for a client based in Finland.
- Design flow development from design entry
through to standard cell layout.
Texas Instruments, Bedford, UK (1984 - 1994)
- General ASIC CAD software development and
- Developed an "Analog Modelling Package",
which added behavioural models to the in-house simulator as well as Mentor
Quicksim. 1 patent and several papers.
- Led a project team supporting and developing
CAD frameworks (design management environments).
Plessey Miliary Communications, Havant, UK (1983
- Gate-level design and implementation of two
gate-arrays for frequency hopping radios.